Click to call 602-307-0808 24/7 Click Here for Free Consultation

How to Remove a DUI off My Record ARS 13-907

When you are arrested or convicted of drunk driving, resulting criminal charges can heavily affect your daily life. You may lose your job, struggle to find a new position, get expelled from college and even suffer credit problems. Your insurance is likely to cost more. Also, if you are in politics or hold other positions scrutinized by the public, you will likely experience trouble gaining those roles in the future – if you are eligible to hold office, at all.

In Arizona, if you have been convicted of DUI you may be eligible for a Set Aside (ARS 13-907). A Set Aside is similar to expungement of criminal records in other states. To find out if a Set Aside will work to clear DUI conviction from your criminal record, call DM Cantor.

What a Set Aside / Expungement can do for DUI Convictions

Depending upon the circumstances of each individual’s case, it is often possible to have a DUI, drug-related or other conviction removed from your public record by a lawyer for expungement or Set Aside. First, you must complete all of the conditions of your sentence and associated probation. If you have achieved this and have otherwise cooperated as you should, the court may agree to have your DUI or criminal records Set Aside. This means that the conviction will be cleaned from your record, as if you were never found guilty.

What a Set Aside (or also known as an Expungement) will not do is to completely erase all signs of the circumstances that led to charges. If you seek a job and the employer requires a criminal background check, your case will appear like a dismissal. Law enforcement will keep a record. But you can legally say when completing job applications or going through interviews that you do not have a criminal record. You are able to say without worry that your charges were dismissed after a Set Aside.

People convicted of certain felonies can also obtain a Set Aside. This allows felons to again be allowed to vote, own firearms and state that they are not felons.

If you were not convicted, were found not guilty in a trial for drunk driving or the charges were dropped after arrest, you can also request a Set Aside (see ARS 13-907). This is done through a petition to the MVD. The police cannot use past arrest information against you after it is Set Aside, even if you are arrested again.

What is Needed to Gain a Set Aside

Gaining a Set Aside relies upon specific circumstances of your DUI case and your criminal history. There are additional factors that are considered, as well. For a Set Aside ruling, the judge makes his or her decision based upon a number of variables. A ruling is then issued for your case.

Some of the factors a judge considers include:

  • If the circumstances of the case were deemed dangerous
  • Age of victims, if there were any victims involved in your case
  • Whether probation was assigned, how you completed that probation and when it was finalized

Whether your DUI or criminal conviction was a misdemeanor or felony will be weighed by the court during consideration. It is particularly important for felony convicts to gain the help of an experienced DUI defense attorney to be seriously considered.

If your criminal defense lawyer receives a denial to your Set Aside application, there are steps that can be taken to help you successfully gain the positive ruling. These may include addressing the judge’s specific concerns that prevented a request from being granted for your case.

Important Steps to Gaining a DUI Conviction Set Aside

Properly fulfilling the obligations of your DUI sentence is the most important aspect of a Set Aside process. These obligations are all of those the court specified in its judgment of your case.

DUI Set Aside ruling may mean you have:

  • Paid all of the court mandated fines and fees
  • Completed all of your probation time without any problems
  • Completed all of your jail or prison sentence
  • Attended classes or completed other tasks mandated by the court

To make filing a Motion to Set Aside judgement easier, it is important to keep thorough records of everything you have completed that has been required by the court as part of your conviction. Judges want to see that your record has remained clean since your DUI conviction.

Beyond these two needs, there is also an Arizona Superior Court document you will need to complete to have a request submitted. Your defense lawyer you work with will provide this document. He or she will also ensure that it is properly and accurately completed for the greatest chance of your Set Aside being granted.

If you have completed all of the conditions of your Arizona sentencing and probation, you may be eligible for a DUI conviction Set Aside. Call DM Cantor now at 602.307.0808.

Click to Watch Important Questions to Ask when Hiring a Lawyer

Request a Free Consultation

Fill out the form below to recieve a free and confidential intial consultation.

Arizona Defense Law Firm Associations and Awards
DM Cantor

Call 24/7 602-307-0808

40 N Central Ave, Ste 2300
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Click here for Directions

For Family Law questions please go to Cantor Law Group.
[contact-form-7 id="8868" title="Exit Intent"]